TECHNOLOGIES & APPLICATIONS
This file demonstrates widespread potential of excilamps applications in scientific investigations or with industrial aims, extending further such application spectrum, which is being replenished in every coming year.
- Overall picture of applications
- Coaxial photochemical reactor concept
- Dermatoses treatment
- Other perspective applications of excilamps
- Long-term prospects of excilamps and corresponding technologies development
1. Overall picture of applications
2. Coaxial photochemical reactor concept
For the first time a concept of streamline photoreactor based on a coaxial excilamp was suggested in 1996 (Oppenländer T., Baum G. 1996. Wasseraufbereitung mit Vakuum-UV/UV-Excimer-Durchflussphotoreaktoren (Water remediation with Vacuum-UV/UV-Excimer Flow-Through Photoreactors), Wasser - Abwasser. 137(6): 321-325). In accordance with such a concept, coaxial barrier discharge excilamp is appropriate to be used for liquids irradiation.
Areas of applications of coaxial photoreactors based on UV- and VUV-excilamps
Owing to their technical characteristics excilamps are rather perspective system for UV-disinfection.
Example. Linear coefficient of DNA absorption (rights) and a radiation spectrum of a KrBr-excilamp at different proportions of Kr and Br2 in a working mixture (lefts). Such a lamp allows an effective inactivation of bacteria (Sosnin E.A., Lavrent'eva L.V., Tarasenko V.F., Avdeev S.A., Stoffels-Adamovich E., Kuznetsova E.A. A device for UV-inactivation of microorganisms. // Patent RU 43458. Priority 27.09.2004. Publ. 27.01.2005. Bul. 3.)
A number of investigations of recent decade have shown that XeCl-excilamp possesses unique radiation spectrum that provides its successful use for skin diseases medical treatment.
XeCl-excilamp meant for psoriasis treatment and studies on other dermatoses treatment was developed and made at LOR under the Contract with a French Company "DermOptics SAS" (FRANCE), presently it has clinical trials both in France and Russia.
Example. The general view and radiation spectrum of a XeCl-excilamp (model BD_P) for psoriasis treatment. According to data of Italian scientists XeCl-excilamps are also good for treatment atopic dermatoses, vitiligo and dermatomycoses
- Microelectronics: surface etching of semiconductors and dielectrics, thin films photocure, sol-gel methods, photo-excited thin films.
Kogelschatz U., Boyd I.W., Zhang J.-Y. Development and applications of UV excimer lamps // in Book "Photo-Excited Processes, Diagnostics and Applications", Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2003. P.161-199.
- " Dehydration of natural gas by VUV-excilamps with simultaneous increasing of heavy hydrocarbons in natural gas liquids. Laboratory tests and checkup at Myl'zhin gas-condensate field in 2005-2006.
Akhmedov A.Yu., Erofeev V.I., Erofeev M.V., Istomin V/A., Korovin S.D., Medvedev Yu.V., Polygalov Yu.I., Orlovsky V.M., Sergeev O.A., Sosnin E.A., Stepanov V.P., Tarasenko V.F. Method of natural gas dehydration. A streamline reactor for natural gas dehydration // Patent application RU 2005106634/15. Priority 09.03.2005. Positive decision on patent grant 18.05.2006.
- " Analytical chemistry. Excilamps produced better results than low-pressure mercury lamps during pretreatment of samples for destruction complexes "metal - organic solutes" on toxic elements test in foodstuffs, for cleaning electrodes from capillary-active organics, and dissolved oxygen removal.
Sosnin E.A., Zakharova E.A., Batalova V.N., Excilamps application in analytical chemistry // Industrial laboratory. 2005. Vol. 71. No. 8. P. 18-24.Sosnin E.A., Zakharova E.A., Batalova V.N., Excilamps application in analytical chemistry // Industrial laboratory. 2005. Vol. 71. No. 8. P. 18-24.
6. Long-term prospects of excilamps and corresponding technologies development
- Further progress in excilamps use in photomedicine;
- Excilamps miniaturization and such models use;
- Excilamps equipped in analytical systems of multicomponent analysis, for e.g., chromatograph;
- Creation excilamps with high pulsed power of hundreds kW/cm2, and investigation on their basis fast photoprocesses with duration of several nanoseconds;
- High-pressure photochemistry creation based on VUV-reactors;
- Substitute of mercury-containing lamps for excilamps in existing equipment (lighting, analytical instrumentation, medical electronics);
- Excilamps performance buildup;
- Development of multiwave excilamps;
- Excilamps use for photobiology.
The Section Publications offers a number of references, integrating experience in excilamps applications in scientific experiments and industry, realized by Laboratory of Optical Radiation.
- What is excilamp?
- Particular models and developments manifested at LOR.
- Business contacts.
History | Research Fields | Technologies | Publications | Structure | Conferences | Library | Site Map | Site Search | Contacts |