SCIENTIFIC AND ORGANIZATION STRUCTURE
HIGH ENERGY DENSITY DEPARTMENT
The Laboratory of high energy density was established when the Laureate of Lenin Premium A.V. Louchinsky was invited to the IHCE who headed the laboratory and formed basic scientific ideas for the newly organized sub-unit. The main scientific personnel of the laboratory was formed by the young graduates from Tomsk Institutes and a group of scientists from the Physical Electronics Department headed then by G.A. Mesyats. In 1982, at the suggestion of G.A. Mesyats, the Academic board of IHCE made a decision to organize the Department of High Energy Density. Dr. A.V. Louchinsky was chosen as the head of department. Earlier the Department included other laboratories leaded by Yu.A Kotov (now a Corresponding Member of RAS), by A.P. Khuzeev (presently a Deputy Director of the IHCE). Since 1994, the head of the Department is Dr. N.A. Ratakhin. At present time, two Doctors of Science, 7 Candidates of Science, and 8 researchers work at the Department.
- Study of nanosecond megaampere Z-pinches, high-current relativistic electron diodes, high-temperature dense plasma.
- Development of terrawatt nanosecond low-impedance generators, techniques of obtaining megagauss magnetic fields, intensive flows of soft ultrahard X-radiation and g-radiation.
Basic scientific achievements
- A group of original nanosecond MA-generators (SNOP-2, SNOP-3, STM, MIG) with output power from fractions of a terawatt up to several terawatts have been created.
- The main processes (implosion dynamics, instabilities and availability of their suppression, emiting characteristics, energy absorption mechanisms, etc.) occurring in nanosecond Z-pinches were investigated.
- The main regularities have been determined and a possibility of obtaining mega-gauss magnetic fields and soft X-radiation using Z-pinches has been demonstrated.
- Adequate to experiment simulation models describing behavior of current-carrying dense emiting high-temperature plasma were developed and modernized.
- The main regularities of efficient generation have been revealed and powerful electron flows have been experimentally obtained in high-voltage diodes in a wide range of parameters (t = 5-150 ns, U = (0,7-5) MV, I = 0.1-1,5 MA) at different areas.
- Record by a number of parameters (power, duration) pulses of ultra-hard X-radiation (hn = 20-100 keV) and g-radiation used in studies on materials radiation resistance have been reached.
Since the Department of High Energy Density was established, 3 Dr. Sci. (Phys. & Math.) and 9 candidate dissertations were defended, 1 State Premium (with other scientists of IHCE) was received, 1 monograph (in co-authorship) and above 250 papers were published.
History | Research Fields | Technologies | Publications | Structure | Conferences | Library | Site Map | Site Search | Contacts |